Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Emory's IMVC.org Cardiologist
- M.D. Emory University School of Medicine (1986-1994)
- Ph.D. Emory Department of Genetics and Molecular Medicine (1988-1993)
- B.E.E. from the Georgia Institute of Technology (1982-1986 )
Electrical Engineering - summa cum laude with minor in computer engineering.
- B.S. from the Georgia Institute of Technology (1982-1986)
Applied Biology - summa cum laude with minor in molecular biology.
- U.S. - Board Certified in Cardiovascular Disease 11/2002
- Florida Medical License- obtained in 7/2001
- Nuclear Medicine License Eligible 6/2001.
- Certified to use Duett vascular closure devices 5/2001.
- Certified to use Vasoseal vascular closure devices 11/2000.
- Certified to conduct drug/device human subject research 12/2000
Emory IRB Certificate Number: B5586578
- U.S. - Board Certified in Internal Medicine 11/1997
- Georgia Medical License- obtained in 8/1995
Licensure can be verified at:
Honors and Awards
- 2015 - "Terribly hungry" non-patients, misbehaving terribly, give HeartDoc Andrew a low Healthgrades.com score thereby unwittingly drawing attention to his **wonderful** (Isaiah 9:6) practice of curing patients of their cardiovascular disease :-)
- 2010 - Premium Designation Listing by UnitedHealthcare.
- 2009 - Premium Designation Listing by UnitedHealthcare.
- 2008 - Premium Designation Listing by UnitedHealthcare.
- 2007 - Premium Designation Listing by UnitedHealthcare.
- 2006 - SCHS Principal for a Day.
- 2003 - AMA Physician Recognition Award.
- 2001 - Emory Cardiology Fellows' Research Symposium Oral Presentation.
- 2000 - AMA Physician Recognition Award.
- 2000 - Grand Rounds Oral Presentation at University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB).
- 1997 - AMA Physician Recognition Award.
- 1997 - NIH NRSA Research Fellowship Award.
- 1997 - Joseph H. Thompson Cardiovascular Research Award.
- 1997 - AHA Cardiovascular Research Fellowship Award.
- 1996 - ASH Clinical Research Fellowship Award
- 1986 - Received the Emory University MD/PhD Scholarship.
- 1982 - Received the Georgia Institute of Technology Presidential Scholarship.
- 2010-Present - An organizer of Emory's Global Healthy Humanitarian Summit
- 2009 - Author of the book Trust the Truth.
- 2007 - Author of the book Be Hungry (now in its second printing!).
- 2004-Present - Founding member of the Wellness Foundation, Inc.
- 1999-Present - Author and lawful steward of Tribute to Emory Cardiology Web Site at
- 1996-Present - Author of more than 25,000 on-line USENET articles posted to sci.med.cardiology
- 1987 - Editor of Anlage, the Emory Medical School Newspaper.
- 1984-86 - Taught recitation classes for freshman Calculus 1307, 1308, and 1309.
- 1984-86 - Editor of Erato, the Georgia Tech Literary Magazine.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Heart Association Council Member
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Hypertension
- American College of Physicians
Presentations at National Meetings
- 1999 - American Heart Association
Subject: Cloning and characterization of a novel redox-sensitive transcription factor from aortic smooth muscle cells that binds to the promoter of monocyte chemotactic protein-1.
- 1999 - American Society of Hypertension
Location: New York
Subject: The maternal inheritance of hypertension among African Americans.
- 1995 - International Society for Hypertension in Blacks
Location: U.S. Virgin Islands
Subject: The Matrilineal Inheritance of Hypertension
- 1995 - American College of Physicians
Subject: HSV-2 Hepatitis: A Case Report.
- 1992 - American Society of Human Genetics
Location: San Francisco
Subject: Transcriptional Regulation of Nuclear-Encoded OXPHOS Genes.
Publications - Journals
- Ellis A., Kalogeropoulos A., Chung, A.B., Martin R.P., Caras D., Clements S.D. Jr. (2011) Cyanosis due to unruptured aneurysm of the sinus of Valsalva: an unusual complication.. Tex Heart Inst J. 38(4):448-9.
- De Keulenaer, G.W., Ushio-Fukai, M., Yin, Q., Chung, A.B., Lyons, P.R., Ishizaka, N., Rengarajan, K, Taylor, W.R., Alexander, R.W., Griendling, K.K. (2000) Convergence of Redox-Sensitive and Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Signaling Pathways in Tumor Necrosis Factor-a-Mediated Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 Induction in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 20, 385-391.
- Suh Y, Arnold R.S., Lassègue B., Shi J., Xu X., Sorescu D., Chung A.B., Griendling K.K., Lambeth J.D. (1999) Cell transformation by the superoxide-generating oxidase mox1 Nature, 401, 79-82.
- Chung, A.B., Fas, N. (1998) Successful Acyclovir Treatment of HSV-2 Hepatitis in a Patient with SLE: A Case Report and Meta-Analysis. Am. J. Med. Sci. 316(6), 404-407
- Haraguchi, Y., Chung, A.B., Neill, S., and Wallace, D.C. (1994). OXBOX and REBOX, Overlapping Promoter Elements of the Mitochondrial F0F1 ATP Synthase Beta Subunit Gene. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 9330-0334.
- Chung, A.B. (1993). OXBOX and REBOX Transcriptional Control of Mitochondrial Respiration Genes in Muscle Cells. UMI #9323153, 1-210.
- Haraguchi, Y., Chung, A.B., Torroni, A., Stepien, G., Shoffner, J.M., Wasmuth, J.J., Costigan, D.A., Polak, M., Altherr, M.R., Winokur, S.T., and Wallace, D.C. (1993). Genetic Mapping of Human Heart-Skeletal Muscle Adenine Nucleotide Translocator and its Relationship to the Facio-Scapulo-Humeral Muscular Dystrophy Locus. Genomics 16, 479-485.
- Chung, A.B., Stepien, G., Haraguchi, Y., Li, K., and Wallace, D.C. (1992). Transcriptional control of nuclear genes for the mitochondrial muscle ADP/ATP translocator and the ATP synthase beta subunit. Multiple factors interact with the OXBOX/REBOX promoter sequences. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 21154-21161.
- Stepien, G., Torroni, A., Chung, A.B., Hodge, J.A., and Wallace, D.C. (1992). Differential expression of adenine nucleotide translocator isoforms in mammalian tissues and during muscle cell differentiation. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 14592-14597.
- Neckelmann, N., Warner, C.K., Chung, A.B., Kudoh, J., Minoshima, S., Fukuyama, R., Maekawa, M., Shimizu, Y., Shimizu, N., and Liu, J.D. (1989). The human ATP synthase beta subunit gene: sequence analysis, chromosome assignment, and differential expression. Genomics 5, 829-843.
Publications - Abstracts
- Chung, A.B., et al. (1999) The maternal inheritance of hypertension among African Americans. Oral presentation given at the 1999 ASH meeting in New York.
- Chung, A.B., Olutade, B. (1995) Matrilineal Inheritance of Essential Hypertension. Oral presentation given at the 1995 Meeting of the International Society on Hypertension in Blacks.
- Chung, A.B., Fas, N. (1995) Successful Treatment of HSV-2 Hepatitis with Acyclovir. Oral presentation given at the 76th Annual Session of the American College of Physicians.
- Chung, A.B., Haraguchi, Y., Stepien, G., and Wallace, D.C. (Nov. 13, 1992) OXBOX/REBOX DNA Binding Factors in Myogenic Cells. Oral presentation given at the 42nd Annual ASHG Meeting. Abstract#204.
Copyright © 1995-2019 by Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD. All Rights Reserved.
Atlanta, Georgia (United States of America) 404.699.2780
This page of the Atlanta Cardiology Web Portal was last updated on Thursday, July 18th, 2019.
Disclaimer and Privacy Statements.